This Italian eggplant dip preps quickly and actually gets better as it stands. Serve it warm or at room temperature. Try adding a little leftover caponata to scrambled eggs for a savory breakfast. —Nancy Beckman, Helena, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons capers, undrained
- 5 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- French bread baguette slices, toasted
- Optional: Fresh basil leaves, toasted pine nuts and additional olive oil
- Place first 11 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker (do not stir). Cook, covered, on high for 3 hours. Stir gently; replace cover. Cook on high about 2 hours longer or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly; discard bay leaves. Serve with toasted baguette slices, adding toppings as desired.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 34 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 5, 2020
Sunny, the pine nuts are at the bottom of the ingredient list, and are listed as optional.
Jan 27, 2020
Looks like there are pine nuts in the photo but not in the recipe ingredients?