Slow Cooker Beef Tips
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound), cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes
- Place mushrooms and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches, adding additional oil as needed. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 212 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 28, 2020
Used 1.5 pounds of sirloin steak. Added minced garlic, onion and garlic powder. Used extra Worcestershire sauce and a fair amount of soy sauce. Delicious over mashed potatoes and meat was melt in your mouth tender!
Oct 19, 2019
Loved this recipe! Just used button mushrooms because that is what I had on hand. I did add a pinch of sea salt in addition to the specified amount! I cooked it over night; turned it off in the morning then turned it on again about an hour before eating! The meat melted in your mouth!
Oct 6, 2019
Excellent recipe!! I followed as directed but added additional S
Sep 29, 2019
I made it tonight following the recipe. I thought it was very bland!! Definitely not a "keeper" for me.
Sep 14, 2019
I trim Chuck steak or roast and go from there. This is a good recipe and reminds me of food I ate grown up in rural Michigan in a family of 9 kids. Very good.
Sep 12, 2019
Haven't made this yet but it sounds like it needs more spices. I will add garlic and more Worcestershire sauce.
Sep 10, 2019
I brown stew meat and freeze it in batches......thaw it out and throw it in the crockpot with the remainder of ingredients in the morning!
Sep 9, 2019
I used stew meat and it turned out great. The whole family enjoyed this meal. Will definitely make this again.
Feb 11, 2019
I only modified slightly using button mushrooms. I was a bit skeptical about the recipe as there was much in the way of complexity for flavor. Sadly, this was possibly the worst recipe I’ve ever attempted. The tips were like sawdust and had no flavor whatsoever.
Oct 23, 2018
Melt in your mouth delicious!! Added cream of mushroom soup.