Slow-Cooker Apple Pudding Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Spread into the bottom of a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle apples over batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, honey, melted butter, cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; pour over apples. Cover and cook on high until apples are tender, 2-3 hours .
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and confectioners' sugar. Serve with warm pudding cake.
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 2 tablespoons sour cream mixture: 431 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 31, 2020
I brought this to my nieces graduation party. It was a big hit. So very delicious and comforting. I will be making this again and again.
Apr 13, 2018
My family loved this dessert! I had every ingredient on hand except the apples, but luckily I had a can of sliced apples in cinnamon flavored syrup. I just drained the liquid and chopped up the apple slices. The recipe turned out great even without fresh apples. I did not make the sour cream mixture. My family said they would like a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top in the future.
Sep 23, 2017
My family and I really enjoyed this recipe. The exact directions in this recipe call for it to cook on high 2-3 hours. I cooked it on high for 2 hours, switched off the crock pot, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before serving. It was perfect.
Nov 5, 2016
I have not made this dessert yet, but I would like to comment on printing the recipe. All Taste of Home recipes take 2 sheets of paper. Picture very large and print very small. Sukie
Nov 28, 2015
I don't know what happened but I made this today as directed and it was not very good! Tasted doughy and I let it slow cook for the 3 hours on low as directed. Will not be attempting this one again.
Jan 29, 2015
Great dessert---tasty and easy---I added more apples too, as mentioned before. Will definately keep this recipe handy.
Feb 4, 2014
Made this and took it to friends to cook while we were gone for a few hours. WOW awesome dessert. Skipped the sour cream mixture to serve with it and just used ice cream. Also took others advice and upped the apples to 4 instead of 2. I will make this again! SO EASY!
Nov 16, 2013
Amazing! I made this recipe exactly as is but chopped about 5 apples instead of 2 and it turned out so delish! Great for the fall season! And it's not overly sweet(I agree with the other review!)!! We were unsure of the sour cream topping-we never had it before but we loved it! We will keep it and use it again and use it for potlucks or holidays!!!!
Dec 17, 2012
Delcious! Light and not very sweet--just right after a big dinner. Ellie
Oct 21, 2012
Made this for a fall food day at work. It was a huge hit! The entire crockpot was scraped clean within 15 minutes and before people started eating lunch! Had lots of requests from people for the recipe and know that at least 2 people made it and also got rave reviews.