Slow-Cooked Spicy Portuguese Cacoila
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 6 hours
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 bolillos or hoagie buns, split, optional
- Place pork in a large bowl; add wine, garlic and seasonings. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer pork mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; add onion and water. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim fat. Remove bay leaves. Shred meat with 2 forks. If desired, serve with a slotted spoon on bolillos.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 489 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1075mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Jul 2, 2020
Tender, juicy, and flavorful! I substituted the dry red wine with a combo of red wine vinegar and chicken broth as that's what I had on hand. I'm always worried about meat getting dried out or tough, but this had a wonderful texture. The kids enjoyed it, too!