Slow-Cooked Southwest Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar (8 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Optional: Lime wedge and fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 2- or 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, broth, tomatoes, chicken, salsa, corn and seasonings. Cover and cook on low until a thermometer reads 165°, 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice. If desired, serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
Freeze option: After shredding chicken, freeze cooled mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 19g protein.
Jul 10, 2020
All my kids loved it!
Jun 18, 2020
It had no taste. Added more salsa and topped with sour cream and that helped. Trying to delete this recipe from my recipe box and it won’t let me.
Jan 24, 2020
I made this exactly as stated. It was incredibly soupy so much so that I ate it as a soup while the rest of the family ate it over rice. It was easy but not anything special so I probably won't make it again.
Sep 15, 2019
Easy recipe that can be used so many ways! Whole family loved this. I served it over the rice but would also be good wrapped in a tortilla or turned into nachos!
Jun 20, 2019
I added more chicken, some chili powder and paprika, and replaced 1 can black beans with kidney beans. Literally took 5 minutes to put together. 3-4 hours on low did not seem like enough cooking time for me, I cooked for 6 hours on low. Perfect! Very tasty!
Apr 8, 2019
Nope! Tasted like tomato soup, despite the multiple other ingredients. Wasn't even remotely spicy. Actually threw the remainder out because I couldn't face another serving of it. Taking it off my recipe keeper.
Jan 9, 2019
Flavor on a budget and busy schedule! This is my kind of recipe. It had great flavor and was filling over rice. I will add this to my favorites.
Oct 17, 2018
We eat this often. One major change I make to the recipe is that I do it in my electric pressure cooker and use frozen chicken thighs. I cook the thighs first on the "Chicken' setting (20 minutes) then add the rest of the ingredients and cook again on the "Chicken" setting. I use Chicken thighs. The last time I used Mango Salsa
Jun 29, 2018
This was pretty good as is, but it needed a little something else for our liking. So I added some salt and garlic powder and it was delicious. Served over rice and everyone loved it.
Aug 29, 2017
The whole family enjoyed this. I was not expecting my 11 and 8 years old to really like it, but they both said they would eat it again. Loved adding just a little sour cream with it. Definitely a win for how fast it came together in the slow cooker.