Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 4-1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ribs in butter.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked pork: 342 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 899mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Jun 25, 2018
This was a great recipe. I did not deviate much; only used 6 lbs bone-in versus boneless. I cooked for 7 hours on low and they were perfect and absolutely delicious.
Jan 27, 2018
I've been making these since my kids were little and now that they're on their own own they want the recipe. One of our all time favorites!
Dec 14, 2014
Delicious, the meat was so mouthwatering tender!
Mar 27, 2014
Did not care for them when we ate them and then the aftertaste was extremely unpleasant.
Jan 28, 2014
Absolutely excellent meal! Made it with beef and pork before, both were excellent. Has anyone made it with chicken before?
Nov 15, 2013
My Husband already wants me to make this again - BIG hit!
Mar 4, 2013
How was this possible that this was rated 4.5 stars? It was very tart.....
Oct 14, 2012
No comment left
Oct 11, 2012
Excellent flavor. My husband was impressed (and that's saying alot for him). I will end up making this alot. Easy to make. I followed the directions exactly. Thank you.
Aug 4, 2012
I love this recipe. I've made it at least 6 times now. It's one of my favorites. I found this recipe in a 2000 T.O.H books. It's a keeper.Now I would like to make a comment to your April 16, 2011 reviewer "Your Worst Critic".First it seems like you had a bad day? You used very distasteful verbage. Most critics are mindful on how they phrase things. They critique what they don't like w/o offending people. Stop being imprudent. Most people watch what they eat so that they can have a delicous meal like this once in a while.Thank you Pam for this recipe.