Slow-Cooked Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place onion and mushrooms in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Rub roast with salt and pepper; cut in half and place over onion mixture. In a small bowl,combine the wine, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 356 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 45g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 11, 2020
No comment left
May 2, 2020
There are so many variations you can do with this recipe. Make sure your a low cooker has plenty of room for your imagination. Mushrooms, small golden potatoes and different onions. Different wines or just plain beef broth. The possibilities are endless.
Feb 29, 2020
Recipe was so simply and because of that I didn't expect it to taste sooooooo good, but it is a definite recipe keeper!
Feb 14, 2019
I just made this today for Valentines Day. The gravy for this roast is awesome. I make all kinds of gravies, but this will be at the top of my list. I did make a minor change, I did not cook my onions in with the roast. I sautéd them on the side and then added to the gravy before serving. I prefer them not to be completely cooked. I also did make a little more gravy by in a bowl add beef broth, Worcester sauce with corn starch and added it into the slow cooker to finish cooking. My husband puts gravy over everything!
Feb 27, 2018
This is a great starter recipe, the meat was fork tender, it just fell apart after 6 hrs. I did add celery, Yukon Gold Potatoes, carrots. I did add flavoring to it a mixed spice by Penzeys. Which was Old World. It was very flavorful
Sep 15, 2017
Tender and earthy in flavor. Would add more herbs for flavor. I made this in a slow oven (275*) and only took 3 hours. Not bad. Easy. Will tweak and redo.
Sep 15, 2017
Jul 20, 2017
Very tender and full of flavor. I did add more vegetables to mine and cooked it in my electric pressure cooker.
Jun 21, 2015
Delicious! Here are my changes: I added diced celery and carrots as well as a teaspoon each of dried rosemary and Greek seasoning because it just didn't seem right to not add any flavor enhancers. After thickening the liquid, I added some browning sauce. My roast was fork tender after 8 hours.
Sep 27, 2014
Delicious pot roast!