Slow-Cooked Manhattan Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Aug 8, 2011
I'm not a big fan of this soup to begin with but my boyfriend is and when he smelled the soup I was a hard time to keep him away from the slow cooker before the soup was even done!
May 11, 2011
This was very good clam chowder. I add the clams at the very end, though, so that they stay plump. I always add an extra can of clams. Never enough clams, as far as I'm concerned. Yum!
Apr 9, 2011
great chowder. I stirred in some leftover white rice and it was very good.
Apr 11, 2010
A great soup to come home to on a cold day!