Sloppy Joes with Lentils
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomato sauce, lentils, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until lentils are tender. Serve on buns.
Jul 8, 2020
This is my go-to sloppy Joe’s recipe! I always have lentils on hand (store them in the refrigerator). I soak them first to quicken the cooking time and I’ve used barbecue sauce in place of ketchup and you can add shredded zucchini or carrots etc. Always great And use whole wheat hamburger buns and low fat beef— it just makes this dinner virtuous!
Aug 16, 2017
I was leery about cooking the hamburger for 60 minutes with the lentils but it was too easy to not try. Worked great!! I added worcestershire sauce as we like that flavor in sloppy joes. Just check the lentils to make sure they are cooked to your liking. I think I added a few extra minutes to make sure they were done how I liked them.I'm making it again today.