Sloppy Joes for 100
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 3 hours
Makes100 servings (12 quarts)
- 20 pounds ground beef
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 4 large green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup spicy brown mustard
- 4 cups ketchup
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 100 hamburger buns
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the beef, onions, peppers and celery in batches until meat is browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large roaster; add the next 8 ingredients. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Serve on buns.
Sep 15, 2019
I made the recipe exactly as stated, figuring the sauces and Worcestershire sauce would be enough salt since all the reviews were raving. I should have tasted it! The recipe really needs salt and pepper. It tasted so much better after I added a couple tablespoons of salt. Solid base recipe, but I think I’ll stick with the one I already use.
Sep 21, 2013
I know this serves 100--but how much is a serving?
Oct 19, 2011
I have made this recipe twice for my church only I have to cut the recipe in half. Everyone loves it and has even asked for the Recipe.
Dec 8, 2009
EXCELLENT!! I used this recipe at work and now I use it at home, too.
Jun 22, 2009
No comment left