Skillet Southwestern Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes4 servings (1 quart)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: Plain yogurt and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in corn, beans, broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top servings with yogurt and cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without yogurt): 302 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 10, 2020
BRAVO, we loved this soup! I did tweak a few things. First off I doubled the recipe. Then I added a can of tomato sauce to thicken it up. Lastly instead of cooking the chicken with the soup I added smoked pulled chicken at the very end. It added a crazy awesome layer of flavor that really made this soup a meal!
Sep 24, 2019
This soup is delicious!! I didn't have any Rotel, so I used tomatoes and jalopenos fresh from my garden!! It's so good! I have it simmering for supper, and going to make some corn bread to serve with it. Can't wait till supper time!
Jan 29, 2019
Delicious! I used cream style corn instead of whole kernel and after I browned my chicken put everything in the crockpot on low for 4 hours.
May 12, 2018
Delicious! This is so good. Nice and spicy, and surprisingly filling.
Dec 8, 2015
Delicious and so easy to make, my husband and I loved this soup! I cooked it for him when he was home sick with a bad cold and the nice heat or spicy kick from the soup did wonders for clearing out his sinuses! Also great to make for when you're in a hurry because other than cooking the chicken ahead of time, you are simply adding the remaining ingredients, you can't go wrong! :)
Jun 13, 2015
The blend of seasonings in this soup is wonderful. I doubled the broth & added more chicken to make it go farther.
Jan 12, 2012
I doubled everything except the spices because I also used 2 bags of frozen southwest veggies that had corn beans and spices in it also.
Mar 13, 2011
Great! Used reduced sodium chicken stock and did not add salt.
Feb 16, 2011
This is an excellent soup. I did have to make some changes but none really altering. I did not have any broth so make some with bullion cubes. I already hade some left-over corn and used that; I used pinto beans instead of black as I do not care for black beans taste. I will make this again as it was quick and so delicious.
Oct 22, 2010
excellent soup but I too reduced the sodium. Homemade chicken broth and low sodium canned ingredients, great results