Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, peas, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch, bouillon and water until well blended; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sour cream and heat through (do not boil).
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Prepare beef mixture as directed but do not add sour cream. Freeze cooled meat mixture in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large skillet, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and proceed as directed.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 448 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Jul 22, 2020
This is a great recipe. True “comfort food”! The only change I make- I use frozen mixed vegetables in place of the peas and corn. I have also made it with pork. Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor
May 21, 2020
Hate to be a pain, but this is a cottage pie. Shepherd's pie is made with lamb.
Apr 15, 2020
My husband loves shepherd's pie, so I had to make this when I saw the recipe (he loves corn, too); and I have to say this is the best tasting shepherd's pie. Easy to make - with a yum-yum factor that has him raving. Thank you TOH!
Mar 30, 2020
This recipe was super easy to make and my whole family loved it, including my picky 4 and 6 year old girls. Glad I found this. Will definitely add to my rotation of meals. I typically have all these ingredients on hand.
Mar 28, 2020
This recipe is Cottage Pie not Shepherds Pie. Shepherds pie uses lamb. My tweeks: I did not use corn or sour cream. I baked it in the oven after putting it all together. I used peas and carrots and mashed cauliflower. It was superb! I made it again with ground turkey.
Mar 19, 2020
We got snowed in so i made this it is so easy
Mar 19, 2020
We really liked this dish. I didn't even serve anything else with it because it is a complete meal in itself. Until this recipe, I thought all shepherd's pie dishes were baked in the oven. Pretty easy to make . I even used venison ground beef instead of regular ground beef.
Mar 19, 2020
DELICIOUS Recipe! FYI: Chicken or beef bouillon granules can be found in the soup aisle. Herb-Ox is the only kind I have seen, comes in a small jar.
Jan 12, 2020
Shepherd's pie originated in the United Kingdom. It's called Shepherd's Pie because it's made with ground lamb, and shepherd's tend the sheep in the fields. If it's made with ground beef, it's technically not a Shepherd's Pie but a Cottage Pie.
Dec 4, 2019
My mother used to make this, but she would pour the mixture into a baking dish before adding the mashed potato topping. Then she would bake it in the oven for 30 minutes at 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit. It was a wonderful meal on a cold winter evening.