Skillet Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a 9- or 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange about 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into skillet.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes (cover loosely with foil if cake browns too quickly). Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place cherries in center of pineapple slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 380 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 16, 2020
Really good cake. My husband loved it. Maybe next time I will only use 1/2 cup of brown sugar; I find the topping too sweet.
Apr 12, 2020
Not very happy with the final outcome. Way to much butter and brown sugar in the topping. Separating the yolks from whites is a pain and i feel not necessary. Very small (not deep, but thin) cake part. You're better using a boxed yellow, buttery cake mix. Will not make this again!
Aug 4, 2019
This was super easy to make. Hubby loved it and asked for it again.
Mar 29, 2019
Love the egg whites makes it so much lighter .
Oct 28, 2018
Made this recipe and my kids raved about it! Very delicious.
Oct 1, 2017
I've made this a few times, and it's always perfect every time. Don't change a thing!
Feb 17, 2017
This cake is very moist and delicious. I used fresh pineapple that I had cut into chunks and put a little sugar on to make more juice. It worked and I will be making this again.
Aug 1, 2016
I have made this time and again. It's so delicious! I have also made it with peaches that I had canned. I've made it whole in the cast iron skillet and I've made mini's in the muffin tins. You just can't go wrong with this recipe!
Jan 15, 2016
The cake is very good but so rich that you can't eat more then one piece, if you bake this cake make sure you have no leftovers it doesn't keep well. I think the cake soaked up too much of the topping and became mushy. The cake texture was too light for a upside down cake.
Jun 23, 2015
WOW!!! THE BEST!!! VERY ADDICTING!