Skillet Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; cook chicken until chicken juices to run clear. Add onion and celery; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme, ketchup and cornstarch; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 275 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
May 9, 2020
Great recipe! I found 1 cup of chicken broth was not enough. Between the flour mixture with the chicken and the corn starch mixture it became way too thick. I used a 14-ounce can of broth and it was perfect. I agree with talon49 that 1/4 teaspoon of thyme is enough. This recipe will go to my favorite box. Thanks for sharing Valerie.
Mar 21, 2020
Delicious ! Only change I made was to cut back the dried thyme to a 1/4 teaspoon instead of the suggested 1/2 teaspoon as we find thyme a strong seasoning. For our taste with this change the stew was perfect. At serving we cracked a little bit of black pepper on top
Mar 20, 2020
Great on a cold rainy day. I made it twice now and it did not disappoint!! I made cheddar biscuits to serve along with this yummy soup.
Mar 18, 2020
No comment left
Feb 20, 2020
This is an easy and delicious spin on beef stew. I've make it three times since I found this recipe 1
Feb 10, 2020
Wow, this was fantastic! It’s a keeper.
Jan 26, 2020
No comment left
Jan 7, 2020
Loved this stew!!! Easy and Quick! The flavor was great. Made recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing it's a keeper!
Dec 22, 2019
OMG Delish! Adding ketchup put it over the top! Loved the flavour!
Nov 7, 2019
This is a great recipe. It is very adaptable. I do not use the corn starch. I also add additional spices like a bay leaf, sage and marjoram. Great winter recipe! I usually end up adding more broth.