I like starting out with recipe ideas and adding ingredients to make them mine. This bean dish, passed to our family by a friend, got a double-dash of barbecue sauce flavor from me. I have all sons—no daughters. But I'm not afraid of losing our family recipes. My boys love to help cook!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 pound pepperoni, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa, sliced
- 1/2 cup spicy barbecue sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) lima beans, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or to taste
- 6 slices bacon
- Form the Italian sausage into 1-in. balls. Brown in skillet, drain. Combine with remaining ingredients, except bacon, in 5-qt. casserole or in small roasting pan. Partially cook bacon in microwave or on stovetop; arrange over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Serve hot or cold.
Feb 13, 2016
This was fabulous. I would definitely make it again.
Oct 23, 2009
I have been making these for many years.The men are dissappointed if I don't bring them to our potluck dinners. They are a hitwherever I take them.