Simple Meatball Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole pearl onions, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add broth, soup, potatoes, carrots and pearl onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 374 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 4, 2018
Very good! Have made this several times. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Nov 25, 2016
A nice way to use ground beef that's different from the usual meatloaf or pasta dish. We substituted different "cream of" soups for the condensed mushroom, and there was no problem. We also omitted the pearl onions (personal choice.) Makes a good stew.
Apr 4, 2011
No comment left
Dec 29, 2010
I've turned to this recipe time and time again, and we always can't stop eating it. It's delicious. I make it and throw it in the crock pot on low when I'm going to be out for the day!
Sep 1, 2010
I have been making this for years and it is a favorite among family and friends. I have tweaked it over the years but it is great as is too. I do not use the pearl onions, I also bake my meatballs in the oven until brown. Everyone ask for this dish. I can't make it enough.
Apr 25, 2010
My family loves this meatball stew! I have made it for family and friends, and they say I'm a chef! But I know better, it's my taste of home recipes that make my meals a hit! In the winter I serve it with homemade buttermilk cornbread, and in the spring with the garlic toast. Yummy!
Jan 27, 2010
I baked the meatballs in the oven instead of browning them in the oil and then served this with store bought garlic bread...it was wonderful!
Sep 5, 2009
I needed a new recipe for a soup using ground beef, and this one was quite good. I didn't have the pearl onions (just chopped a bit of yellow onion and threw it in) or the majoram, which didn't matter...it was yummy. Some folks might find this too salty (hubby and I have terrific blood pressure and put salt on our salt) so consider the low sodium versions of soup and broth if that's of concern to you!
Feb 23, 2009
I love this and it gets so much better the day after! We use Costco's Italian Style meatballs. I'm giving this recipe to my dad who has macular degeneration. It will help him make more satisfying meals with little expertise!
Oct 16, 2008
I am going against the flow, but I would not make this again.