Shrimp & Crab Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread rice into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in seafood seasoning, salt, pepper sauce and pepper. Fold in shrimp and crab. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered, until shrimp turn pink, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare recipe as directed, cooling sauce slightly before adding shrimp and crab. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 376 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 195mg cholesterol, 1127mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Jul 6, 2020
This was yummy served with a green salad. I always appreciate when reviewers let us know the tweaks they made because it gives me good ideas about substitutes I can use and improvements I can make. Casseroles by nature are very versatile. I’m not a fan of canned seafood so I used fresh shrimp, imitation crab, and scallops. I also added mushrooms, garlic, and 1/4 cup of white wine to the sauce. I used 3/4 cup of prepared Uncle Ben’s original rice. I did use half and half but I’ve made this using just milk and it turned out fine. Stick to the recipe as written or have fun with it and make adjustments. Either way it’s good.
May 25, 2020
I'm a bit embarrassed to review this, as I was limited to use what was on hand, since running out to the store is not a preferred activity during the pandemic. I used half heavy cream/half milk, surimi instead canned crab, basmati rice, and cooked shrimp, baking it for 25 minutes. It still came out delicious!!
Feb 3, 2020
Sep 26, 2017
Just a question. Can canned shrimp be used instead of fresh?