Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, milk, soups, corn, Creole seasoning and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in shrimp and cream cheese. Cook 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through and cheese is melted. Stir to blend.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 202 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Aug 9, 2020
Oh ok... I see now. When you click on Print the cream cheese shows up in ingredient list. I don't know why it wasn't showing up when I was just viewing the recipe. Temperamental computers.
May 14, 2020
This recipe will kill ;you with sodium'
Apr 23, 2020
I was really wary of making this recipe, because I figured it would just taste like canned soups. But, I was hungry, and had all of the ingredients in my pantry and freezer, so I took my changes. I made just two changes. I put cut up large raw shrimp into the soup and cooked it that way in order to get more shrimp flavor. Plus, I added a teaspoon of minced garlic. Super yummy! I think the suggestion by sherwood1225 of adding pimentos and bacon sounds like perfection! I'll keep this recipe, and make it again.
Feb 9, 2020
Also added pimentos and bacon for color and flavor.
Dec 17, 2019
This is really a great chowder. Next time I make it I will throw in some extra diced potatoes to make it thicker; I usually make half the recipe for the two of us. Perfect recipe as is and quick to make with on hand items. Thanks for the recipe!
Oct 25, 2019
I go to this site to find recipes and am so disappointed when I find canned soups and vegetables in the ingredients. that's not cooking, Campbells already did it for you.
Sep 29, 2019
Excellent soup. Prefer it with cream of shrimp soup to replace the cream of chicken which adds a nice chowder flavor.
Feb 23, 2019
This is the first time I've been let down by my fellow reviewers. I liked the suggestion of adding crab, and I ruined this dish. The recipe, as written, was excellent, until I added half a pound of lump crab. The chowder immediately smelled and tasted "fishy." The five star rating is for the original recipe, which I'll definitely make again, exactly as it was originally written.
Feb 20, 2019
So easy to put together and it doesn't take long in the slow cooker. I like the idea of adding crab! I used lower fat versions of the milk, soups, and cream cheese and it tasted great!
Nov 30, 2018
5 star. I have NOT used this recipe. I can see by ingredients this would taste great. I do wonder about the use of a Slow Cooker. Wow that is some Lazy Cooking. Then again, why not ??