Shredded Green Chile Beef
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- Place onions and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine remaining brown sugar and the next 6 ingredients; coat beef with mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef, 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to slow cooker; pour enchilada sauce over beef. Cook, covered, on low until beef is tender, 7-9 hours. Remove beef; shred meat with 2 forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve over potatoes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup beef mixture: 278 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 6, 2020
OMGOSH!!! This was so good! First of all, the spice blend was perfect. I only had a small can of green enchilada sauce so I subbed green tomatillo salsa to make up for the difference . I think that the spice blend is so good that it makes the recipe a "forgiving" one if you need to sub. And I don't have a crock pot so I checked the web and found out I can slow cook my 4 lb pot roast at 275 for 4 1/2 hours. I served it as a soft taco filling with the usual toppings and my family LOVED it! My husband said "This is better than a Tex-Mex restaurant" ! When feeding a man, you can't go wrong with chuck roast. Can't wait to pour the leftovers on some mashed potatoes. Thanks Colleen!!! You are making me look like a Supermom!!! I am back on my game, thanks to you :)
Apr 11, 2019
We enjoyed this very much. Made as directed, except used 2-10 oz cans enchilada sauce, I think this was plenty. The first night we ate it on mashed potatoes and everybody wanted seconds. The leftovers we ate in soft tacos. Will definitely add to the rotation of easy recipes in the crock pot. Thank you!
Jan 22, 2019
Grammy I didn’t see any red pepper flakes in the ingredients list
Oct 17, 2018
Yum! What a great recipe! I only made two changes--I left out the red pepper flakes (we are wimps when it comes to spicy food) and I only had two small cans of green enchilada sauce which together equaled less than the 28 ounce can called for. But, the beef was SO GOOD anyway! Absolutely delicious served over mashed potatoes the first time and I'm looking forward to having the rest in soft tacos. Hubby and I loved it and I will definitely be making it again!