Shredded Barbecued Beef
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 12 to 16 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in 1 tablespoon oil. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients except rolls; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours; turn the roast and bake for 2 more hours or until meat is very tender. Remove roast; shred with a fork and return to sauce. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 398 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 864mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
May 12, 2020
Since I reviewed this in 2016, I started making it in the slow cooker. I still follow the original steps to make the sauce and brown the meat to give it layers of flavor. After that, I cook it on low for 8 - 10 hours and shred with two forks before putting it back in the sauce. This recipe is still on a rotation at my house and is a favorite of my family.
Jul 21, 2017
This tasty beef is great for a picnic! We add green pepper to our, but they're great any way you fix them!!
Jul 27, 2016
Apr 9, 2016
My brother who lives a couple hours away was driving up to visit this weekend. Made this with pepper poppers https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pepper-poppers and threw them in the last half hour of cooking and it was the best friday dinner. I served it with a salad but next time I'm whipping up a batch of cilantro cole slaw so people can layer it on the sandwiches if they wish. A definite keeper!
Oct 25, 2014
Apr 21, 2013
No comment left
Feb 16, 2011
tried this when it came out in the magazine about 10 years ago and it has been a raving favorite since!
Sep 11, 2010
Very tasty! I loved it!
Jun 23, 2010
Great recipe! It is perfectly seasoned easy to prepare. My whole family raved about i!
Jan 29, 2009
This is a great recipe! My husband, mom, and I loved it! Thanks for sharing!!!