Shortbread Lemon Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, and lemon and orange zest. Add butter; cover and process until mixture forms a ball.
- Pat into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until set and the edges are lightly browned, 12-14 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Pour over hot crust. Bake until set and lightly browned, 14-16 minutes. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Spread over filling.
- Bake until topping is set, 7-9 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight. Cut into bars just before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 172 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 22, 2019
These lemon bars are THE BEST! Nice crust, tangy lemon filling balanced out with the sour cream topping!!
Jun 14, 2019
I haven't made these yet but I'm wondering how important the zest is? I don't have a place to buy zest and I don't have the right "tool" in my kitchen supply to make zest. Help!!
Jan 14, 2019
Very good. A big hit at church.
Oct 18, 2018
I made these lemon bars for my church's coffee hour after service, and were they ever good! they tasted just like a lemon meringue pie without the meringue. Many people told me they loved them and asked for the recipe. These will be on my "regulars" list now for sure!
May 9, 2017
These were a hit at our Christmas dinner!
Jan 25, 2017
No comment left
Mar 22, 2015
I made these today using all fresh ingredients. I added toasted crushed pecans to the shortbread and added a homemade blackberry compote for a topping on top of sour cream. Looks delish and can't wait to taste them after dinner tonight. Wish I could attach a picture.
Jul 9, 2014
Just finished making this. The sour cream layer has not set and I cooked it for extra time. I hope after cooling and overnight refridgeration it will set. Haven't tasted it yet, so we will see!
May 16, 2014
Can I just say these are the best lemon bars I have ever eaten? Fabulous! I put some in the freezer so I can get my fix every few days.
Oct 19, 2013
This is too delicious for words. My grandchildren absolutely love them and beg for more.