Shoofly Chocolate Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate or cast-iron skillet with crust. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle chocolate chips into crust; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Add the baking soda, water, egg and molasses to remaining crumb mixture and mix well. Pour over chips. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 526 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 24, 2020
A few years back I had been given a Shoofly Pie recipe from an Amish woman, but I lost it. So when I saw this recipe, I was happy to try it. While family and I liked it, it seems to be missing flavor. After reviewing some other Shoofly Pie recipes, I noticed they all had cinnamon and ginger in it, so next time these spices are definitely going in.
Jan 29, 2010
I did not care for the combination of chocolate and molasses in this pie. It tasted medicinal to me.