Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until bottom is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make 8 evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break 1 egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted.
Sheepherder’s Breakfast Tips
What do I do with leftover bacon grease?Save your leftover bacon fat in the fridge to use in a variety of ways. Try baking with it, adding it to ice cream or any of these other bacon grease ideas.
Are there any variations I can make with this recipe?This top-rated breakfast recipe can easily be adjusted to suit your tastes. Feel free to use country pork sausage instead of bacon or make it vegetarian by eliminating the meat and replacing the ¼ cup reserved bacon drippings with oil or butter.
Can I make this with more or less eggs?Yes, you can make this recipe with more or less eggs! Make as many wells in the potato mixture for as many eggs as you need. If you've got eggs left over, use them up in any of these egg recipes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Aug 21, 2020
Easy to prepare and very tasty! Loved by all!!
Aug 16, 2020
so good I did not cook the eggs for 10 minutes. I cut that back to 5 minutes
Aug 16, 2020
This was so good and easy! I topped it with homemade Salsa Verde. My husband said this was a keeper. Thank you!
Jul 21, 2020
No comment left
May 12, 2020
This was good, but a couple of hints to improve.. would brown the bacon first and then add onion, as water from the onion makes the bacon take a lot longer to crisp. Also, when you add the eggs, unless you want completely cooked yolks, cut cooking time down from the suggested 10 minutes. We would have liked a more runny yolk, as the totally cooked yolk made it somewhat dry. Will try again.
May 10, 2020
Looks delicious but I would use sausage instead of the ham (bacon) and then put country gravy on each serving. :)
Apr 26, 2020
I gave this recipe a 1 star because that is wayyyy too much grease from the Bacon to digest. I did make this recipe, however i poured off bacon grease, cooked on low heat and it came out perfect. FYI, Ham can be a substitute or Turkey Sausage and low fat cheese for a healthier option.
Apr 26, 2020
So good! My husband made it better by stirring the potatoes a few times to crisp the potatoes in the middle.
Apr 8, 2020
I cooked this and then I ate it!
Mar 16, 2020
My eggs broke so I ended up tossing it all together but it was just as delicious. It’s almost as good reheated, which breakfast foods usually aren’t.