Senate Bean Potpie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add ham. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add beans, salt and pepper; return to a boil. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, milk, egg, green onions, parsley and melted butter; stir just until blended. Spoon evenly over bean mixture (dish will be full).
- Bake until topping is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 513 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1619mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 5, 2019
Loved this! I followed the recipe exactly except left out the parsley and green onions in the cornbread topping. The sweetness of the cornbread was so good with the salty ham and bean mixture.
Jul 11, 2019
I was excited to find a recipe that used a ten inch cast iron skillet. So I was ready to try this. My grandkids loved the idea of cornbread on the top and they enjoyed it. I liked the flavor, but my husband and the rest of the crew did not care for it.
Jun 3, 2019
Yum! I made my own cornbread instead of purchasing a mix. This would be a great recipe to use up leftover ham; however, I chose to leave it out and have it for Meatless Monday.
May 24, 2019
Simple and delicious. I’ve made it a few times and you can speed it up even more by cooking the cornbread separately. Alright, it’s not a pie then but still tastes good.
Mar 24, 2019
This recipe is a winner. I added an extra can of beans and doubled the cornbread topping because I had a 16 oz bag of Marie Callender cornbread mix. Everyone is already clamoring for me to make it again.