Now you can be true to your graduate's school—thanks to Torrington, Connecticut resident Andrea Holcomb's clever concoction. You simply make colored gelatins in the school's hues. Andrea notes, "This salad is really easy to put together. In fact, it's an ideal do-ahead dish."—Andrea Holcomb, Torrington, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 4-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- In three separate bowls, dissolve each package of flavored gelatin in 1-1/2 cups boiling water. Pour one bowl of lime gelatin into an oiled 8-cup serving bowl or mold; chill until almost set, about 1 hour. Set other two bowls of gelatin aside at room temperature.
- Soften unflavored gelatin in cold water; let stand 5 minutes. Heat cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat just below boiling. Stir in softened gelatin and sugar until dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream until smooth. Carefully spoon half over chilled lime gelatin layer. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon lemon gelatin over cream layer. Chill until almost set, about 1 hour.
- Stir remaining cream mixture; carefully spoon over lemon layer. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon the second bowl of lime gelatin over cream layer. Chill several hours or overnight. Unmold if a mold was used.
Editor's Note: Different flavored gelatins may be used to represent your school colors. This recipe takes time to prepare, since each layer must be almost set before the next layer is added.