Scalloped Carrots Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In another saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 430 calories, 29g fat (19g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 5, 2016
Umm,Umm good ! Made this for a family gathering. Some attending didn't like carrots however, I convinced them to try it. Needless to say, They all loved it. I had to make several copies of the receipe , even for the ones that "didn't like carrots". This casserole is bound to be served often at my house.
Jun 11, 2015
This was absolutely delicious! I had this in my recipe box for a while now and recently made it. Why did I wait so long?!?!? I can see making this many more times in the future.
Aug 28, 2014
Wanted to try this casserole but was in a super hurry so here are the changes I made:I used half of a medium onion sauteed in 1/4 of butter and:I used two envelopes of White Sauce Mix and prepared according to package directions but added the ground mustard and only an 1/8 of a teaspoon of celery salt and added an 1/8 of a teaspoon celery seed. I also used croutons instead of bread cut into cubes.Next time I will use french fried onion rings for a different flavor twist topping.Even with my changes this was super good!
Mar 28, 2012
one word..WOW... I am so upset I had not found this receipe a long time ago. It is so so so good. We ate it for days. I am so excited to bring it to Easter to share with my family
Feb 27, 2011
this is very addicting...scrumptious!!
Feb 5, 2010
I used 2% milk and 2% milk cheddar cheese.
May 24, 2009
No comment left
Aug 11, 2008
This is a wonderful recipe!
Jul 16, 2008
No comment left