Savory Wheat Crescents
Parmesan cheese and garlic salt give these hearty crescent rolls a scrumptious, savory flavor. Living in wheat country has prompted me to experiment with many whole wheat recipes.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 8-1/2 teaspoons honey, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in 2 teaspoons honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whole wheat flour, milk, 2 tablespoons butter, egg, salt, remaining honey and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead on a floured surface for 30 seconds. Roll into a 12-in. circle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; sprinkle over dough.
- Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 168 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.