Savory Pot Roast
"I LIKED IT when Grandma made pot roast because she'd let me help. I diced the onions, opened the can of tomatoes and measured out the horseradish. Handling that horseradish always made my eyes tear!"
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours + 10 min.
- 1 round-bone beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onions are tender. Return roast to Dutch oven. Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, horseradish, browning sauce, salt if desired and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. Drain, reserving 2 cups pan juices. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Slice roast and serve with gravy.