Savory Lentil Barley Soup
"I get frequent requests from my family for this thick, full-flavored soup in the winter," reports Myrtle Brandt of Morris, Manitoba, "especially on -35° days, which are not uncommon here!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 5 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (1.7 ounces) vegetable soup mix
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, optional
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add water, tomatoes, soup mix, lentils, barley and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender. Add carrots; simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the carrots are tender. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 125 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 11, 2012
I make this recipe during Great Lent. It's delicious! I've had many requests for the recipe and I'm always happy to share.
Jun 4, 2009
hi,can this recipe be made into a crockpot recipe?how much rinsing of the dried beans do i have to do?diane