Sausage Wild Rice Quiche
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 4 large eggs
- In a greased 10-in. pie plate, layer the sausage, rice and cheese. In a bowl, combine the milk, baking mix and eggs; beat until smooth. Pour evenly over cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Sep 9, 2016
I made a mistake and used "long grain & wild rice" instead of just wild rice. I think that altered the taste of the dish. So I'll just rate everything else until I try this again the correct way, then update my review. I think the wild rice would have given the dish a firmer texture. With the egg mixture and long grain, it was just too mushy. Also, because of the liquid egg mixture, and then the melted cheese, this took a LONG time to cook (despite the fact that my oven actually runs hot!). Total time was past the time listed above. The center was just so "jiggly" and mushy. The sides were also getting hard, so I had to put some aluminum foil on top. Too late, because the bottom and sides of this dish were inedible. Next time, I'll put the aluminum foil on top from the get-go and see if that helps. Even after keeping it in the oven for so long, it still wasn't set but I couldn't wait any longer so just ate it as-is. I think with the changes (using wild rice, and putting aluminum foil on top), this could be a really good dish.
Jun 17, 2010
Very good! My husband claimed he didn't like wild rice until he ate this.