Sausage Bean Chowder
When the first hint of cooler weather appears at the end of the summer, my husband always asks, "Isn't it time to make some soup?" It's his subtle hint for me to make this special chowder!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes12-14 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 9, 2020
I've been making this soup for years. It's delicious and easy to throw together on a weeknight. I've been using ground turkey sausage because we're cutting back on red meat and we don't even miss it.