Sausage and Rice Casserole Side Dish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound sage-flavored pork sausage
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup converted rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Brown sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat; transfer sausage to a 2-1/2-qt. greased casserole dish. In the sausage drippings, saute celery, onion, peppers and mushrooms until lightly browned; transfer to prepared dish. Add water chestnuts, rice, broth and seasonings; mix well. Cover tightly and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until rice is fluffy and tender.
Nutrition Facts0.500 cup: 281 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 11, 2020
I added a can of Red Gold diced tomatoes with basil and oregano. I used RB rice medium sausage and added 1/8 t. red pepper flakes for an extra kick. Also I adapted the recipe to my Instant Pot, brown sausage and veggies. Add the rest of the ingredients. High pressure 3 minutes with a 10 minute natural release. My hubby who doesn't like "casserole" type dished asked me to make it again.
Apr 3, 2007
No comment left