Sausage and Mushroom Cornbread Dressing
I learned about corn bread dressing while living in the south for a few years. I decided to combine it with a few of my favorite stuffing ingredients to give it my own spin. —James Schend, Food Editor, Taste of Home
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- CORN BREAD DRESSING:
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (3-4 slices)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place a 10-in. cast-iron skillet in the oven; preheat to 425°. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, 1/4 cup olive oil, honey and vinegar; whisk into dry ingredients. Remove skillet from oven; lightly grease with remaining olive oil. Pour in batter. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, crumbling meat, until no longer pink. Remove and drain. In same skillet, cook mushrooms, celery and onion until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in sausage, mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake, uncovered, until top is browned and mixture is set, 40-45 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips