Santa Fe Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in rice.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and cumin; place over rice mixture. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 412 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 966mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
May 30, 2018
This recipe is great, I have added it to my rotation. I did make a change to it. I use diced tomatoes and then buy diced green chilies separately. I use only 1 tablespoon of the diced green chilies. This way I control the spicyness of the dish. I also use brown rice instead of white.
Jul 22, 2013
I make this recipe often. I prefer dicing the chicken into bite size pieces so it is easier for my children to eat. I also add a can of black beans and a cup of corn.
Jun 2, 2013
Amazingly delish! I'm doing low carb, so I skipped the rice and the tomatos. Since, there was no rice, I used about half the chicken stock. I replaced the tomatos with bell peppers just so I'm eating more than just chicken, lol. It was REALLY good! Having the chicken soak up all the stock made it extra juicy! This is going to be a go to while on my low carb diet!
Oct 21, 2012
I count 8 plus points with the cheese and 5 plus points without the cheese. So, I am going to make it and not put cheese on my portion. Just an idea!
Aug 9, 2012
This recipe is a little spicy for my daughters and I, but my husband and son-in-law love it which makes it a good meal to leave them when we have "Girls Night Out"
Mar 12, 2012
Made this for my boyfriend he loved it! Has a nice kick to it, making it again tonight
Jan 16, 2012
No comment left
Oct 12, 2011
This was absolutely delicious!! I was worried the raw chicken wouldn't cook in properly with the rice and other ingredients but it cooked perfectly and had so much flavor. I did not use the less sodium chicken brother I use all natural organic broth. I also didn't use fat free cheese... yuck. Use the real stuff! I loved this meal!!
Aug 18, 2011
Yum. Made with salsa instead of the tomatoes simply because that is all I had.
Jun 3, 2011
No comment left