Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Add broth, salsa and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Place chicken over rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, turning chicken halfway.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup rice: 462 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 814mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Sep 7, 2019
This recipe was easy to prepare, tasted great, and was perfect for the two of us! I can't wait to make it again!
May 10, 2016
Such a great and easy meal. I used coconut oil instead of butter and skipped the cheese. Really good meal.
Apr 7, 2016
This is really good! I have to triple or quadruple the recipe to feed a family, but it always turns out very well. I usually have to add a little extra water.
Dec 22, 2015
This recipe is not only quick and easy to prepare, but it's delicious! I used homemade salsa without much liquid, so it required a bit more broth. I'll definitely be making this again!
Oct 14, 2015
Wonderful! A keeper, for sure. And since I always have chicken breasts in the freezer and fresh salsa in the fridge this recipe is a natural on those what-can-I-fix-for-dinner nights.Some recipes call for a packaged Spanish-type rice mix. I've always prepared the one my husband likes; he doesn't care for my favorite. But since he likes this rice even better, I will use it from now on in those other recipes. Adding salsa before cooking the rice is a wonderful idea.
Jan 19, 2013
May 30, 2012
No comment left
Jan 15, 2012
This recipe is easy and quick to prepare. The rice is as good as the salsa you use. I used black bean and corn salsa...delicious!
Jan 18, 2011
This recipe was so delicious and easy. I really enjoyed the flavor of the chicken and the rice. I was concerned about using salsa in this dish, but it was really good.
Feb 26, 2010
No comment left