Sandy’s Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a metal bowl over simmering water, melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 685 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (81g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 29, 2020
This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes and really easy to make
Jul 19, 2020
Can't rate until I make. How many cups of cake mix per pan also how many cups of frosting for sides & top & decorating bag & what size decorating tip for swirling the frosting. You made a number of times so you should be able to give the information.
Jun 13, 2020
This is my 4th year in a row baking this cake. It is outstanding!!! Don’t forget to add boiling water or boiling coffee as your last step to making the batter. It’s easy to read past it in the directions. This is my favorite chocolate cake and my husband loves having it every year on his birthday... also his favorite!
May 30, 2020
I made this and took it to a party, and everybody seemed to like it. I have not tried it nor has my family because none of us like mayo, cream cheese or sour cream. I have made a chocolate cream cheese frosting that I was able to eat, but I was unsure of the sour cream in this recipe. Can anybody tell me how noticeable it is? Otherwise the cake looks just delicious.
May 28, 2020
This is my new go to chocolate cake. It is just right. It’s kind of a milk chocolate flavor, not a deep devils food chocolate. Just a regular chocolate cake, but excellent flavor and moistness.
May 7, 2020
Wow I would love to try this cake- please post the ingredients in metrics measurements do I can bake this beauty !! Tia
Apr 20, 2020
So scrumptious!!!! Just what you expect from a chocolate cake! Will make it again!!!
Apr 3, 2020
This was a very good cake. I halved the recipe and baked it in 2 6” rounds since there is only two of us and I don’t want cake hanging around too long. It came out perfect. I had never heard of making frosting with sour cream, it was delicious not sweet like most. This will now be my only chocolate frosting I use. Thanks for the recipe!
Apr 2, 2020
This recipe was amazing! I used a separate recipe for the frosting because I wanted a lighter color, but the cake itself was very moist and delicious.
Mar 21, 2020
Absolutely delicious and relatively easy to make! My husband was in awe of the big beautiful three-layer cake for his birthday declaring it the best he'd ever had. I am not a big fan of cake, but I thought this one was really delicious.