Sally Ann Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 egg whites
- In a bowl, combine sugar, molasses and coffee. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 3-in. to 4-in. cookie cutters. Place on baking sheets that have been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, combine sugar, water and vinegar in a heavy saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 234°-240° (soft-ball stage), about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallows until smooth.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar mixture; beat on high for 7-8 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Frost the cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 9, 2019
This is the first recipe from taste of home in over 30 years that didn’t turn out. The batter was like dust and crumbly. I tried it after chilling and also at room temp. It wouldn’t roll, or do anything. I dumped the whole thing into a 9X13 pan to see what would happen. It didn’t turn out. Others have had success with it? With no oil/butter/eggs I don’t see how that’s possible. Now it’s in the garbage ??
Sep 10, 2016
I love these cookies. I don't make the marshmallow topping though. I use cream cheese frosting.
Dec 29, 2011
Recipe has become a family favorite.
Dec 22, 2011
I haven't made it yet. I wanted to read the reviews.
Dec 18, 2011
No comment left