Sage Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half
- 3 to 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on both sides in oil. Season with sage, salt if desired, and pepper. Add beef broth. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and vegetables are cooked. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into pan juices. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Serve with the roast.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 301 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Dec 16, 2012
My family really enjoyed this dish, especially my son-in-law. They already asked for it again. It'a a keeper.
Dec 29, 2009
This recipe is consistently delicious! The meat is melt-in-your-mouth tender. I skip the salt, but add garlic powder. I make it without the vegetables, and bake it for a total of 3-1/2 hours.