Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 wedges each)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- Coarse salt
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt and remaining water. Add 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add onions and half of the rosemary. Knead 1 minute longer. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Pat each piece flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch each portion of dough into a 10-in. circle on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and remaining rosemary. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 147 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 17, 2013
No comment left
Aug 20, 2010
Made this last weekend because I need foaccia bread for a chicken sandwich recipe. I was too cheap to spend $4 for the gormet bread at the store. This bread turned out very well. I would make it again but I currently have one in the freezer for about 1/3 the cost of the bread at the store. :)