Roasted Vegetable Strata
With the abundance of zucchini my family has in the fall, this is the perfect dish to use some of what we have. Cheesy and rich, the warm, classic breakfast dish is sure to please! —Colleen Doucette, Truro, Nova Scotia
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 each medium red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss zucchini and peppers with oil and seasonings; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in tomato; cool slightly.
- Trim ends from bread; cut bread into 1-in. slices. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, roasted vegetables and cheeses. Repeat layers. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour evenly over top. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 349 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Oct 19, 2017
Did I miss it? What do I do with the tomato
Sep 18, 2017
horrible, like eating bread pudding...i used 8 instead of 6 eaggs and still not enough to cover
Jul 29, 2017
Very good, I added some eggplant in place of some of the zucchini.