Roasted Pepper and Onion Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 onion slices (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place onion slices in a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic; brush half over the onions. Set remaining dressing aside.
- Bake onions, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes or until tender. Add red peppers; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Meanwhile, slice bread in half lengthwise, then cut into fourths. Carefully hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Place bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until toasted. Layer with onions, red peppers and cheese on bottom halves of bread. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with remaining bread.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 29, 2012
Oh my goodness, this was absolutely delicious! I ate it for three meals straight, I couldn't get enough of it. This recipe is easy and fun to tweak too - once I added feta and fresh baby spinach, which went well with the original ingredients. Next time I will try adding sliced tomato and fresh basil. As a vegetarian, I thank you so much for contributing this fabulous recipe!