Rico Rodriguez’ Mom’s Chicken Tacos
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches) or taco shells, warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes
- Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from pan; reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cool chicken slightly. Shred when cool enough to handle.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; cook and stir until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; return to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve in tortillas with toppings, if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 364 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein.
Apr 14, 2020
I thought these had a great flavor. Quick and easy. I used corn tortillas. So good.
Mar 2, 2020
Feb 25, 2020
These were delicious for the kids. They gobbled them up. I made them another time with added spiciness and they were a hit with the adults.