Rich ‘n’ Buttery Bars
You'll keep a cake mix on hand just to make these deliciously rich bars from Ann Horst of Boonsboro, Maryland. "They're fancy enough to stir up for a bake sale," she says. "And they always disappear quickly."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cut butter into cake mix until crumbly. Add egg and mix well. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread evenly over the crust.
- Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until the center is just set. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. Cool to room temperature before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 103 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 15, 2009
I have a Strawberry cake mix I need to use. What do you think ? Have you used diferent flavor cake mixes for this recipe?
Sep 14, 2009
I have been making these bars for several years. Turns out fantastic every time.