Rich French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 6 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 slices French bread, toasted
- Shredded Parmesan and shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until crisp-tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until the onions are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with desired amount of cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without cheese): 188 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1431mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 11, 2020
Oct 27, 2019
This is the easiest and tastiest I’ve made for this type recipe
Feb 23, 2019
The most bland soup I’ve ever encountered. No way this recipe won a contest. We LOVE French Onion soup and I’m always looking to find the best recipe. This , sadly, is not it. Don’t waste your time.
Nov 11, 2018
I added about 1/2 cup of red wine and extra Worcestershire and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
Mar 17, 2018
No comment left
Jan 14, 2018
No comment left
Dec 29, 2017
I found this soup to be very tasteless. Maybe if the onion had been super caramelized as another reviewer suggested that would've helped. I even added 3 extra beef boullion cubes to the mix after tasting. It still needed something so I tried a touch of thyme and a couple of tsp of cider vinegar but neither of those did much either. Onions really burn my eyes so this was a double disappointment after the burning eyes from the onions. Will try another recipe as Jason's Deli has removed their onion soup from their line-up and it was so good!
Jan 15, 2017
This is my family's favorite French onion soup recipe!!
Dec 25, 2016
Boring, bland, flavorless. Used regular beef broth, not reduced sodium but it was still so blah. Won't make this again.
Oct 2, 2016
This is an excellent recipe for French onion soup. I have made it as written and it is great. I have also followed another reviewers advice and carmelized the onions in the crockpot overnight and finished it the next day with a bit of red wine. Delicious! Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor