Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat. Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired and orange zest. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge. Fill with fruit filling. Roll out remaining crust; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 400° until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender, 40-50 minutes. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 470 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
May 17, 2020
oh well - It was pie (which I love) but, my opinion is that the orange juice, orange marmalade and zest just totally overpowered the rhubarb and strawberry flavor. Hubs and I just looked at the rest of this large pie and said - that's a lotta pie left and we will no doubt eat it but won't do this one again. (sad face)
Apr 23, 2020
Delicious! We're in the midst of t he pandemic, so it was a matter of using what I had on hand. Frozen strawberries and rhubarb, thawed. And I did not have OJ or marmalade on hand, so I substituted pineapple juice, and wish I'd thought to use my low-sugar strawberry jam. The level of sweetness was perfect for my rather sour strawberries. I also didn't have tapioca, so substituted an equal quantity of cornstarch. It worked. Hopefully, next time I'll have all the right ingredients on hand, and it will be even better.
May 31, 2018
Absolutely delicious. The citrus pairs so well with the strawberries and rhubarb. Be prepared to share this recipe.
May 23, 2018
This Taste of Home volunteer field editor things this recipe rocks! I made it with just one substitution and one alteration. I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and added two Tablespoons of lemon curd. Otherwise, I just followed the directions. No top crust for me. I used fresh strawberries and the rhubarb was just the perfect amount. I'll be making this again and again. My international friends will absolutely LOVE this recipe.
May 3, 2018
Light, fresh flavor. I was a little hesitant about the orange juice but followed the directions & it was wonderful. Family loved it. I will make this again (and again!). Thank you for sharing the best strawberry-rhubarb pie we've ever had.
Jun 10, 2017
Wonderful recipe! Pie turned out beautifully and had a great flavor!
May 7, 2017
We always love the combination of strawberries and rhubarb and this pie showcases the flavors nicely.
May 19, 2015
My husband was very surprised how delicious this pie tasted. He expected it to be really sour. He just kept saying this is really good. I will be baking this pie many more times.
Jun 27, 2014
Excellent taste and consistency.
Jun 15, 2014
Love the blend of rhubarb, strawberries and orange. Great pie!