Rhubarb Custard Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 198 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 5, 2020
Theses were fabulous. I picked my rhubarb in the morning. I made the 1/2 recipe more tart version and they were liked by all. I agree that people who think they don’t like rhubarb would love these. So different!!
Jul 1, 2020
Can these rhubarb bars be frozen after baking?
Jun 29, 2020
Very tasty, I usually don’t like rhubarb.
Jun 6, 2020
SO GOOD! The shortbread crust is a little labor intensive, but worth making! My new favotie rhubard recipe!!
May 27, 2020
I tried this recipe for the first time but it will definitely not be the last. This has become one of my favorite rhubarb recipes. It's sweet, creamy and a touch of tart. the recipe is so easy to make. i highly recommend trying this recipe.
Jan 16, 2020
I have not made this yet, but it sounds delish. I have a lot of home canned rhubarb that is kind of like sauce. How can I use that in this recipe?
Sep 5, 2019
So yummy!! Everyone I shared with asked for the recipe!
Jul 27, 2019
This recipe is wonderful and a refreshing summer treat. The first time I made this recipe I used fresh rhubarb, but the second time it wasn't available and had to buy frozen. Still in the process of making it, but I'm sure it will be fine as long as it's completely drained.
Jun 23, 2019
Absolutely delicious!!! My kids loved them!
Jun 15, 2019
These are fabulous! Simple to make and so delicious! These have become a family favorite and requested often. I now buy lots of rhubarb when it is in season and chop and freeze just for this dish.