Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Rye bread, optional
- In a bowl, combine the egg, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in rice. Crumble beef over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 15 balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until browned; drain.
- Transfer meatballs to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange sauerkraut over meatballs; sprinkle with caraway seeds. Combine soup and salad dressing; spread over the top.
- Cover and bake for 35-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Uncover; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with rye bread if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 455 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 1408mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Jun 17, 2020
Scrumptious! I used 2 lbs. of ground beef, dried pantry breadcrumbs instead of soft ones , no rice nor milk, but I basically followed the concept especially with the sauce. I served it with buttered sourdough bread and pickled beets leftover from a previous night’s beef stroganoff meal.
Feb 24, 2015
My husband and I really enjoyed these meatballs. I followed the recipe as printed, with two minor changes: I used 1# of ground beef instead of 1 1/2# and made mini meatballs instead of the large ones. The topping really makes the recipe and my husband can't wait for me to make this again!
Jun 26, 2014
My family loves this!!!
Jul 30, 2011
I loved this recipe, though I used corn flake crumbs instead of bread crumbs it adds just a hint of sweetness which plays nicely with the sauerkraut. Love this recipe.
Mar 13, 2010
I used lean ground pork and the meatballs were amazing I doubled the sauerkraut to 2 cans, used 2 cans of soup and thousand Island and it was really good. Very good recipe very easy.
Dec 22, 2009
I LOVED this..didn't change a thing would make this again and again..thanks for the recipe
Dec 6, 2008
We love reubens and will definetly try these.
Dec 5, 2008
I just made this for dinner...WOW it was delious ! my hubby and daughter loved it..was very tasty..just like a reuben I will definately make this again