Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese ravioli
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, parsley, garlic, basil, sugar, oregano, onion salt, salt, pepper and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook ravioli according to package directions; drain. Add to soup and heat through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 235 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Sep 16, 2017
Made this soup as a test run for a soup party I'll be attending in October. Glad I tried it before the party. As the recipe is written, it is not soup. It is a very tomato-y , thick sauce with too little pasta. I made it again with a few alterations: I deleted the tomato paste, used only one 28-oz crushed tomatoes and added 2 to 2-1/2 cups chicken broth. This cut down on the sauce-like taste and consistency. I also added another pkg of ravioli. With these alterations it's more like soup and had a better flavor.
Jan 6, 2014
Made this soup for the first time tonight. I didnt think of it as a soup. 1st, it was more like a pasta sauce with ravioli. 2nd, there wasnt enought ravioli for all that sauce. The taste was good, but still not the consistency of soup. Next time I will halve the the tomatoes and add chicken broth to make it more like soup.
Feb 21, 2013
I really loved the sauce that makes up the soup!! The flavor was excellent, and even my little girl said it was very good! :)
Feb 3, 2013
No comment left
Oct 9, 2012
very good everyone liked it.
Apr 1, 2012
The soup had a good flavor, but more to the consistency of a spagetti pasta than a soup. Probably would not make it again as a soup.
Feb 23, 2012
Great thick and flavorful soup! I halved the recipe to feed my family of 6. I only had cheese tortellini on hand so I used that instead of ravioli and used the whole 9 oz. packages, the amount was perfect. I left out the tomato paste and used a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes and added 1/2 cup beef broth and enough water to equal a soupish consistency. Very yummy, and super easy! :D
Feb 18, 2012
I made this recipe as written with the following exceptions: onion powder instead of onion, dried parsley, and a 24 oz. bag of frozen ravioli. It made a nice, thick soup with plenty of ravioli. Will definitely make again.
Jan 3, 2012
I doubled this recipe and there was NONE left!! This was wonderful!!
Jul 15, 2011
No comment left