Rave Review Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Brown chicken; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining butter to skillet; saute onion, carrots and celery until slightly softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker; add next 8 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours or until carrots are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cream and cornstarch until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until soup is thickened. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 247 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 2, 2020
I created an account just because I felt this recipe needed more than 2 reviews. It was simple and easy to put together and was so delish. I did add some wild rice to it just for more heft feeding a family and even my picky eaters ate it up!
Nov 20, 2019
This soup was on the bland side. Iwould not make it again.
Sep 25, 2019
We loved this. With a few family members "under the weather," I was looking for an easy, no-fuss chicken soup recipe. Well, this is it. I've never made chicken soup in the slow cooker - I've always simmered mine in a dutch oven most of the day. This soup really delivers. Because I was pressed for time, I completely skipped the browning chicken and veggies part. In fact, I threw six frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients up through the chicken broth. I did omit the bouillon granules. My family RAVED about this soup. The curry was a great addition. Didn't use the cornstarch.....didn't really need it. I just added heavy cream and fresh parsley at the end. I will make this again and again this winter!