Quick Savory Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add carrot and celery; simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add to milk mixture and stir until blended. Add cheeses. Cook and stir until melted (do not boil). Garnish with chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 402 calories, 28g fat (19g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1088mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 16, 2020
This soup is easy and quick. I used 2% milk and had to add more chicken stock to think it out a bit. Handy tip: why soften the carrots/celery in chicken broth? I just softened them with the onions in the pot. Cooked everything in one pot. Warmed the chicken broth in the microwave in a measuring cup. So much easier and faster. Turned out great.
Feb 28, 2016
Excellent and easy. I used whole milk and didn't regret it. Try it! Edited to add: I also added a block of the new Velveeta individual blocks. It really added a nice creaminess. Pleased with the results!
Jan 28, 2016
Best Cheese Soup Ever! Quick and easy to fix!
Jan 17, 2016
Excellent! I omitted the onion and used two cloves garlic instead of garlic powder and it was phenomenal!!!! The next time I think I will add baby shrimp to th is and eat with bread, it reminds me.of a delicious seafood fondue!
Mar 3, 2015
Jun 5, 2014
Just made this for lunch. I only had skim milk so I used that, thinking all the cheese would thicken the soup enough. It didn't. Also, I should have remembered catmom2011's warning that it takes more than twice the time to soften the carrots and celery. I didn't. Next time, I will take the time to do that and I will buy whole milk or at least 2%. Other wise, the soup had a good flavor.
May 18, 2011
This recipe was extremely successful! Took just about 25 minutes from start to finish as described. It has a delicate and very cheesy flavor. It got rave reviews at my dinner table and I was asked to keep this one on top of my recipe pile! Did not alter anything about the recipe, did notice however that it took longer than 5 minutes (more like 8-11) to soften the carrots and celery. I found 2 medium sized carrots and 3 medium sized celery stocks made the 1/2 cup requirement perfectly. Would not change a thing. LOVE LOVE LOVE. If you are looking for something delicate, cheesy and that you will want to have bowl after bowl of, this is the recipe for you!! I was sad to see the bottom of my soup bowl so I licked the pot in which I cooked it in as well. A++++
May 5, 2010
I serve this soup with unbuttered popcorn to our six children. They've loved it for years! It's sooo good & easy to make!
Jan 8, 2009
Savory Cheese soup, very good! Even my picky husband liked it. Easy to make.
Dec 2, 2008
This soup was SOOO good, thanks!